Butlins Memories | Home | Forum | World View
Blackpool | Cliftonville | Llandudno | London | Saltdean | Scarborough | Spain

Butlins Metropole Hotel, Blackpool Back

Metropole Hotel, Blackpool

The Metropole was known originally as Bailey's Inn and then changed its name to Bailey's Hotel. Here was held Blackpool's first Town Council Meeting in April 1876. In 1885 the first track of the Blackpool Corporation Tramway was placed outside. When the new promenade and Sea Defence Works were opened in July 1905 there was a week of festivities to mark the occasion and the mayors and their ladies from all over England were guests in the, by now, Metropole Hotel. In 1912 the new west part of the Hotel, Princess Parade, was opened by HRH Princess Louise to give a total of nearly 200 bedrooms. The Metropole Hotel was bought by Butlins in April 1955. It was sold in 1998 but is still open under new ownership.

Thanks to Robert Clark for informing us that the Metropole is the only hotel in Blackpool to be situated on the seaward side of the tramtracks. All the other hotels in the area are on the town side of the tram tracks. It's due to this, that the tracks have to go onto the road to skirt round the hotel, rather than stay on their own, concrete paved area, between the North Pier and the Metropole north stop.

Assorted Images

Click on each image for a larger view.

1950s Advert
1950s Advert
2010 Postcard
2010 Postcard
2010 Leaflet
2010 Leaflet
1981 Postcard
1981 Postcard